Sunday, February 28, 2010

A slight departure from plans...

To be honest, I didn't do the Read and Run today like I was planning. As a matter of fact, the last time I hit the treadmill was last Sunday. I'm not a fan of excuses, so instead, I will provide a brief list of events that changed my course (in chronological order):
- Saturday: While at the Springs Preserve, I discovered that the author of one of my favorite books I'm reading right now was going to speak on Wednesday. (This author I speak of is Richard Louv and he wrote Last Child in the Woods)
- Sunday: I discovered that not only was Richard Louv speaking on Wednesday, but it was the keynote address to a 4 day long conference on environmental education in the state of Nevada. Be still my heart!
- Monday: As I was signing up for the all day Saturday Teacher Symposium, a nagging thought in the back of my head said I was supposed to do something on Saturday. Later that evening, I remembered.
There I stood at a fork in the road. I lamented the fact that life sometimes simultaneously gives you two opportunities that you want just as bad as the other and there is only one of you. I made the choice to attend the symposium for a few reasons. Please see the list below (can you tell that I love lists?):
1. Attending this conference (plus completing 15 hours of extra work) will increase my salary next year
2. This is it! This is my path!
On my way to the conference bright and early, I waved to the runners along Water Street wishing them luck in the early morning drizzle. Perhaps next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment