Wednesday, July 18, 2012

On a note regarding local activism,

A friend posted on his blog today, a very overwhelmed and poorly edited post, lamenting about the state of local activism in Vegas. Frankly, I'm tired of people talking about the need for change. It's all around us! Las Vegas clearly has its sins, but I couldn't be prouder of my city. In the ten years since I've graduated from OG Las Vegas High, downtown has erupted in culture. This can only be accredited to neighbors, community leaders, and Las Vegas's very own breed of local. This perception that many local activists subscribe to limits possibilty. Small changes deserve attention too. Yeah, you know what, I'm overwhelmed too. Everytime I see a dog running around the neighborhood with no one to love him or remember the Texas sized trash pile in the Pacific or read yet another headline about how our Federal government continues to favor the ever-failing dollar over humanity by silently slipping legislation through to support GMOs in our food, I feel like this is all too big for me to fight. And I'm right. What's no too big for me, Jessica Penrod, to fight, is ingratitude, societal barries of what I'm supposed to do in relationships/career/finances, and squash bugs (though they remain invincible, I persist). All I'm saying is, people, open your heart and your lovely eyes and look out and appreciate the beautiful and small things that make this town a beautiful and small place to live. Can't see it? I know plenty of beach towns that are easier on the eye about 4-5 hours west. Take plenty of water and send me a postcard of your journeys. May you find that beautiful place you wish you lived in. May your heart and eyes open to recognize it, otherwise you'll be looking for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment